Monday, February 9, 2015

attempting an urban homestead in a rental house

So, we moved into a rental home that is triple the size of the townhouse we own. There is storage. There is more than one shower. There is even solid surface counter tops in the kitchen! But as my mama says, "wherever you go, there you are." Old habits die hard. I really had no room for homesteading at the townhouse. When one has a maximum of six feet of counter tops, one will not sacrifice an inch of it for fermenting cabbage. It is hard, perhaps not impossible, to grow any food on the cement slab in the tiny back yard. 
Now my only excuse for not 'urban homesteading' is our three year lease. I do not want to put a penny into our homestead that cannot be used immediately or moved to our next home. So, I will not be planting any trees. I am tempted to try a bit of aquaponics. We shall see.
Here is our homestead today, next Monday, the planters should be filled with earth and seeds. Yes, that is an old kitchen drawer. I am really trying to not spend money on this endeavor.
Child labor, weeding in preparation for planting I do not know what (I was hoping to plant potatoes but there are irrigation pipes here....)- Daughter #1 wanted to learn 'survival skills' as her new year's resolution. We might not become preppers, but it would be smart to be a bit more self-sufficient. This week's project is getting some sauerkraut going! Updating Mondays....

6 comments:

  1. Perhaps I can help plant some plants when we visit you next week. Thought you might like to read an article on the web re married priests; on the Internet at;

    http://www.post-gazette.com/local/2015/02/08/Eastern-Catholics-rejoice-in-the-restoration-of-married-priests/stories/201801220001

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping for some help and advice!

    I read the article- it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you really doing this on February 9th?!! I'm speechless with envy---I live in Massachusetts and won't even post a picture of my view, because it would be too depressing. 5-6 feet of snow on the ground will do that to you.
    CJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! The weather here IS great- but we pay heavily for it. The flowering tree in the first photo is an almond tree- pretty, no?

      Delete
  4. Like the drawer idea! Like that you're making sauerkraut! I have 4 heads of cabbage and some kale in my fridge just waiting for me. How about maximizing your backyard wall space and planting some nice climbing produce -- cherry tomatoes, pole beans and pickling cucumbers. You can find some pretty tasty lacto-fermented recipes for those. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Climbing plants- great idea...I'm afraid to fail, but that is what micro-farming is about- trying!

      Delete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)