Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Promises & Poodles

When she was 4, I promised my oldest daughter a poodle for her 12th birthday. I thought we would have a bigger house by then. We are in the same place, house-wise and money-wise. She did not get a poodle for her 12th birthday. Well, her 13th birthday came and went recently with no poodle (she got a copy of The Extraordinary Education of Mr Benedict). She didn't complain; she just continued to feed her beta fish.  
But be careful what you promise....my husband keeps promises (even when he didn't make them) whenever possible. We called the poodle rescue on Sunday afternoon, struggled through 2 hours of traffic to go 40 miles, met the dog of her dreams and adopted Duke that evening. So far, he is a gem.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so GLAD! I grew up with a poodle, and she was the best dog, EVER! Fish! Well, let's just say...they seem more like an extra chore than anything else.

    My mother still owes me a "slipper chair" (circa 1860) for getting perfect spelling in sixth grade. It's become a family joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new poodle! We've had fish. Fish are furniture.

    You do remind me of promises best not to make. Thanks. I still have at least one or two that I'm trying to keep, even though they are overdue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a good lesson- good dogs come to those who wait!

      Delete
  3. When you see the look on her face, it's all worth it. She's shining. We've had poodles and in general they are smart even tempered dogs in my experience. Hope that's how it shakes out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! I grew up with a miniature poodle - what a great dog! My not-so-secret dream is to have a standard, though I must say I've become a die-hard fan of the Plott Hound in the four years that we've had one.

    And yeah, fish. Betta fish are actually fun, in their way -- we had one who used to travel back and forth with us from NC to Memphis, TN, in a jam jar in our van cup holder. The kids were all in deep mourning when he finally died. Still, there's nothing like a good dog as a friend for a child. It's hard to imagine what we did all those years before we finally had a dog.

    Many happy years to your daughter and her dog friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hoping he will pass his 'canine good citizen' class so he go to retirement homes and such- I always had dogs growing up, so I am glad it finally worked out for us

      Delete

thanks for commenting! (comments on old posts are moderated)